Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Oh dear, I went and did it.

I am now a statistic. Don't expect graphic acrobatics here; I'm an old lady. As an old lady, I'm just taking the advantage of saying whatever I please. And what I please is to talk about what my Father is teaching His daughter.

****

A friend of mine recently quoted a passage of Scripture concerning gloating. I spent some time looking for it because it contained a warning; now I've found it, weeks later. Here it is:

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;
Lest the LORD see it, and it displease Him,
And He turn away His wrath from him. Proverbs 24: 17, 18

I love warnings; they are so straightforward. This one concerns such a human reaction to a certain kind of persecution. I've gloated many a time, unfortunately. Everyone knows what it is like to have someone "after you"-- someone who just seems out to get you. They want supremacy over you.

It isn't a bad thing to feel relief when my enemy falls any more than it's a bad thing to rejoice at having pain removed. But this isn't where He would have me stop. My relief must be accompanied by compassion for my enemy.

Help me, O God, to have compassion on those bound and imprisoned by their animosity. When I am confronted by hatred, enable me to act without malice or triumphalism. Help me, with Your heart, to seek the salvation of my enemy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Hey! Didn't you read my Dire Warning About Such Things?

7:45 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Perhaps she saw it as a challenge...

;-)

9:18 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

Oh! Comments! B>D

There's alot I haven't figured out here. I actually tried Xanga but it kept telling me that my nicknames had already been taken, so I left.

On gloating, it was Jack who mentioned that there are consequences to gloating. Knowing the consequences makes it easier to repent. I wonder why that is?

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go, Eleanor!

yay. Dearest, Darlingest Craigellachie is blogging!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Gryphonette said...

But you have a Xanga ID already, Eleanor. You ought to be able to click on it (your name) and create your blog.

Though this one is fine, naturally!

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home