Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Oh dear, I went and did it.

I am now a statistic. Don't expect graphic acrobatics here; I'm an old lady. As an old lady, I'm just taking the advantage of saying whatever I please. And what I please is to talk about what my Father is teaching His daughter.

****

A friend of mine recently quoted a passage of Scripture concerning gloating. I spent some time looking for it because it contained a warning; now I've found it, weeks later. Here it is:

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls,
And do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles;
Lest the LORD see it, and it displease Him,
And He turn away His wrath from him. Proverbs 24: 17, 18

I love warnings; they are so straightforward. This one concerns such a human reaction to a certain kind of persecution. I've gloated many a time, unfortunately. Everyone knows what it is like to have someone "after you"-- someone who just seems out to get you. They want supremacy over you.

It isn't a bad thing to feel relief when my enemy falls any more than it's a bad thing to rejoice at having pain removed. But this isn't where He would have me stop. My relief must be accompanied by compassion for my enemy.

Help me, O God, to have compassion on those bound and imprisoned by their animosity. When I am confronted by hatred, enable me to act without malice or triumphalism. Help me, with Your heart, to seek the salvation of my enemy.

6 Comments:

Blogger Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Hey! Didn't you read my Dire Warning About Such Things?

7:45 PM  
Blogger Lady Gryphon, aka: Anne said...

I've read this is one of the most difficult things to manage...to NOT be pleased to see someone stumble.

It's frightfully easy to do, sadly enough. Just think about various politicians - if Hilary were to do something to blot her copybook, would I truly regret she did whatever Bad Thing it was she did, or would I snicker in sinful pleasure?

More likely I'd snicker. :^(

P.S. Glad to see you enter the blogworld, Eleanor.

8:19 PM  
Blogger The BadgerMum said...

Perhaps she saw it as a challenge...

;-)

9:18 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

Oh! Comments! B>D

There's alot I haven't figured out here. I actually tried Xanga but it kept telling me that my nicknames had already been taken, so I left.

On gloating, it was Jack who mentioned that there are consequences to gloating. Knowing the consequences makes it easier to repent. I wonder why that is?

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Heidi said...

Go, Eleanor!

yay. Dearest, Darlingest Craigellachie is blogging!

5:49 PM  
Blogger The Clinging Vine said...

But you have a Xanga ID already, Eleanor. You ought to be able to click on it (your name) and create your blog.

Though this one is fine, naturally!

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home