Saturday, June 04, 2005

Perfectionism

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. Proverbs 10:12

One evil that many Christians fall into (I count myself here) is the demand that others be perfect, and should fulfill all my expectations of them:

- Pastors should want to hang out with me, and they need to have perfect wisdom, vision and knowledge; they should know everyone by name in their congregations and all that is going on in their families; they should always recognise each person's unique gifts even when the person can't see them, and make full and important use of each person.
- Congregations should hear the Word preached once and then go out and do what it says, obeying it to the letter. They should watch over one another so well that there should never be an unknown need, even if I have't shared mine.
- Friends should always keep my needs in mind, and be able to know instinctively when something is wrong.
- Family should know me well enough that I should never have to tell them what I would like for a birthday or special day, and they remember me even when I'm not there.

O God! May I take warning, and overlook offenses large and small, recognising that all are faulty, just as I hope others would do for me.

"You have condemned and murdered innocent men, who were not opposing you." James 5:6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home