Monday, October 30, 2006

Coffee Snobbery

OK, I admit I'm a coffee snob. I love Starbuck's, but I prefer it in the coffeeshop. I like it strong and plain, with cream and a sweetener. No flavors but the simple coffee essence. OK-- maybe a shot of chocolate at most, but never in the morning.

It matters alot to me what my coffee comes in. The cup can't be too large, because then the coffee gets cold as one sips it. My favorite cups are not too small either, becuase then I have to rouse myself too often to get some more. I like to be still with my coffee. Eight to ten ounce mugs are just about right. It can't be too thick-walled, like stoneware or pottery, because the fresh coffee will have too much china to warm up and lose heat. Porcelain, so long as it is relatively thin-walled, is just about perfect.

The mug also needs to be beautiful. I like ones with beautiful classic flowers on them:



Or with a classical theme:





Here are a few others I like:



Gold is always a civilised touch, too. Hm. Need to do some more Web surfing to find something perfect to replace the mug I just broke.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gryphonette said...

Right before Christmas is NOT the best time to go coffee cup shopping, Eleanor.

Those make wonderful gifts, don't they? ;-)

I recognize the Royal Albert "Old Country Roses" cup, though am, to my distress, blanking on the one right beneath it. It's on the tip of my tongue, darn it! I know that pattern!

Terrible. Three years away from Tabletop and I'm losing my grip.

So you don't use mugs with "Navy Mom" or "Gulf Park College" on them? ;^)

I've a lovely wisteria mug of which I'm quite fond. It's not heavy, so you'd probably like it. Can't have it, though. Got it off eBay and have never seen another like it.

10:18 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

We do have a NASA mug that Rich got in FL when he had to go there for some meeting. It's chipped but we keep it because the shape and china type is perfect, though it isn't elegant. I'd take a "Gulf Park College" mug if it was elegant and had gold on it.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at china on the Web yesterday, and discovered I have wicked expensive taste. My favorite companies are Limoges and Limonisov (sp?). It's the gold. I'm a gold-and-flower addict, I guess. But they don't make mugs. Rats.

Those funnel-shaped mugs in the first picture look a little big to me, but I like the patterns.

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

these are your COFFEE CUPS? wow!

I have mugs, across the board. They hold more than 10 oz, and are thick walled. LOL but they're big and I drink through a mugful pretty fast.

I like pretty mugs, too. Lots of color is what I look for.

11:36 AM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

No, I don't have any of these mugs. I just like pretty china and am most likely to use it drinking coffee!

5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home