Saturday, November 11, 2006

It Drives Us Nutz.


This week in Science News (http://www.sciencenews.org/), was a report that scientists have discovered that certain spider venoms fire off the same nerves that respond to capsaicin, which is the active chemical in hot peppers. The article said:
"Different organisms have figured out how to tap this site as a way of telling predators, 'You won't be comfortable if you mess with me,'" he says.

This makes me, and my scientifically-educated husband, crazy. A more accurate manner of describing this phenomenon would be to say, "Different organisms have the ability to defend themselves by utilising this chemical means of self-defense..." Organisms do not and never have been able to "figure out" how to do anything to alter themselves in "evolutionary" terms. They are given certain abilities. That's all there is to it, and anything to the contrary simply cannot be proven. Can we stop talking about evolution as if it were a workable fact? It isn't.

And if you don't agree, I'll have my Yale-educated Ph.D. husband beat you up. So there. Make his day.

And by the way, have I mentioned that I do not like spiders? Nasty things! What will they be like in the New Heaven and New Earth? What were they like before the Fall? Were they the sort of thing that Eve went all soft over? "Awwwww, Adam looook! A widdle cute spider! So cuddly! C'mere you cutey pie!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, that's what I say to Jumpy, the widda cutie pie what lives in my screen door.

A jumper spider, which is my favorite type, and he is medium small. Don't know how long he'll be there, and he may already have decided to find a nicer neighborhood, but I don't mind jumper spiders at all.

11:27 AM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

Jumper spiders, or wolf spiders, are actually rather intelligent critters that I don't mind as much. I had one living in my ironing board once, and he would come visit while I was ironing. I would put a drop of water out for him to drink. His name was Horace.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home