Sunday, December 03, 2006

...a WHAT???


Last night we had red cabbage for dinner. I mean, it was one of the things we had for dinner. If you've never steamed red cabbage, it's worth doing at least once. It turns the water to a rich, sapphire blue. We all stood around watching, oohing and aahing as I poured it off, and wondering if it could be used as dye. (Probably not; it would come out only as grey in the end.) Little things excite us around here.

This morning as I was dressing for church, I remarked to Rich that it was interesting to me how my eyes sometimes seem greyer on certain days, and bluer on others, independently of what I happen to be wearing, even. After a moment, he brightly said, "Maybe your eye color depends on what you eat...like a flamingo changes color depending on the algae it eats?"

5 Comments:

Blogger Gryphonette said...

Ha! I love to cook red cabbage, and actually, I'm sure I've read it's used as a dye, but cannot recall whether it produces a blue or red color. Maybe purple?

Next time I cook some I'll try to have a white bit of cloth to dye, and test it.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Silly... 'Ma said...

Cool about the cabbage. My eyes change color, too, just like my dad's and Clara's did. Our brown eyes can appear almost green if we're giddy, but darken to nearly black if we're in pain, or angry, etc.

I've never heard of a blue-eyed person with "changeable" eyes. Cool.

:)

me<><

12:29 PM  
Blogger Margaret in VA said...

My dad's went from blue to green to a sort of grey color.
We siblings have eyes that stay the same, but my mother swears that my eyes were blue when I was little but they are unmistakeably green.
We love red cabbage with our Christmas dinner which is mostly German food. Did you just steam it? Or did you add honey and vinegar?

5:00 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

We just steam it and then serve it with butter. Man, is it GOOD.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is what you do with the liquid: put it in several different little containers. Then, go find some base and some acid.

Um...baking soda, lye if you have it, lemon, vinegar,...oh, etc.

put a drop of some base in one little container, and see what happens! When you do a drop of acid in some of the red cabbage liquid, SEE what happens! it is very cool

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home