Sunday, February 26, 2006

(Pointing at head) There is too, fluff in here!

Well, gee, nobody tagged me but I'll answer anyway!

1. How many meals does most of your family eat at home each week? How many are in your family?

There are four of us living at home: Rich and I, if he is not travelling somewhere, eat breakfast and dinner at home, bringing lunch to the university weekdays. Meg does the same but usually has a lunch or dinner out with friends on the weekend. Ian does the same but usually has a lunch and a dinner out with friends each week.

2. How many cookbooks do you own? How often do you refer to a cookbook each week?

I have under ten cookbooks, which I use not very often. All this fills a shelf in my kitchen that's about 24" long.

4. Do you collect recipes from other sources?

I do have a subscription to Cook's Illustrated which I save in a binder; and a collection in several binders of favorite recipes from other sources such as family or magazines. I use these daily.

5. How do you store those recipes?

They are in plastic slips and filed in binders which are divided into categories.

7. Is there a particular ethnic style or flavor that predominates in your cooking? If so, what is it?

We like Indian and Chinese, favoring Indian strongly.

8. What’s your favorite kitchen task related to meal planning and preparation?

I like planning and shopping, especially if it's a new recipe that needs an ingredient that takes me to an ethnic food store.

9. What’s your least favorite part? Cleanup.

10. Do you plan menus before you shop?

Yes, always. I plan for three dinners for two nights each, and the seventh night I usually wing it with whatever's handy. This saves money and keeps me from buying stuff I don't need.

11. What are your three favorite kitchen tools or appliances?

I really, really like my electronic probe thermometer-- well worth the $20-30 I paid, and my electronic scales, which was about $40. I also love my bread machine.

12. If you could buy one new thing for your kitchen, money was no object, and space not an issue, what would you most like to have?

Oh, man...give me an Aga stove! Red or green please!

13. Since money and space probably are objects, what are you most likely to buy next?

Maybe a food processor. I don't have one of those because I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to appliances...I don't want to clutter my kitchen with alot of junk that only does one thing. (The bread machine is worth the counter space though!)

14. Do you have a separate freezer for storage?

No, but I sure wouldn't mind a small one.

15. Grocery shop alone or with others?

Definitely alone. I go into such a Zen state at the store that people have to shout and wave their arms at me to get my attention.

16. How many meatless main dish meals do you fix in a week?

At least one, which is two dinners, and often more.

17. If you have a decorating theme in your kitchen, what is it?

An architect friend said my kitchen looked Scandinavian because of all the golden wood cabinets and floors. A grapevine motif; I have a grapevine painted all the way around the ceiling, which is an inspiration from our time in Vienna, and a wrought iron candleholder in the center of the table decorated with grapevines which we bought while there.

18. What’s the first thing you ever learned to cook, and how old were you?

My father made Sunday dinner, and he taught me to revere leg of lamb, and a roast beef. But the first thing I really mastered was fish; in college I'd beg my friends with apartments to let me cook a meal for them in their kitchens. They were usually happy to allow it!

19. How did you learn to cook? Trial, error, cookbooks, and feedback from the family. One of the house rules was that if my family really hated something I made for dinner, they could tell me and I wouldn't make it again, but they had to eat it that one night.

20. Tag two other people to play. I don't know who else reads this besides Cindy and Anne, but if anyone else reading this, you're it! (Send me an email if you don't have a blog!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Silly... 'Ma said...

Two things shock me. Not just surprise, mind you - SHOCK! :)

No food processor? Wouldn't be without one. It's not a one trick pony, btw. I haven't got a big mixer, so I use it for a lot of those functions. And that you don't have a lot of cookbooks. They're wonderful just to read, especially local character ones, or historical ones. Love 'em.

This is a fun meme. I hope more folks do it.

Hugs!

me<><

1:56 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

I do look through cookbooks alot; I just use the library instead of buying them. I think the food processor thing will happen soon, like before summer.

1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home