Saturday, June 18, 2005

Well, phooey.

Flying always does a number on my ears, especially when I have several flights in a row. My right ear gets plugged up in a major way until it feels like it's going to explode...very painful! Chewing and swallowing and massaging don't seem to help. I've worked with a theory that the tissues in there were getting dehydrated, so I put a surgical mask on and drink lots of water, only to have it happen anyway. Afterwards, the ear stays plugged up for days. This time I was completely deaf in my right ear after we landed. At present, my right ear hasn't popped yet, and I landed last Tuesday. I can hear something with it though, at least.

For some reason, my hearing had been worse than usual on this trip. I was in a place where walls and floors were concrete, and people spoke softly, so I had to have my hearing aids in only to get blown away whenever a dog barked or the traffic or wind acted up! I wonder if things are just getting worse there....on top of all this, my poor husband has a very sore throat and can only croak at me. I'll put my hearing aids in for him. :>)

There are times when being deaf has its upside. I don't get as bothered by minor sounds as others do, and I can tune out background noises more easily than others. And I'd far rather be deaf than blind. Because it only affects certain sound ranges, it leads to some wierd interpretations of what I'm hearing. We have a bagpipe CD that Rich loves to listen to, but I can't bear it unless it's turned up loud enough to hear the melody... all I can hear is the nasal HHHHMMMMMmmmmmmm... drives me wild. It's also become something of a family game for me to repeat to someone exactly what I thought they said, which is usually so ridiculous as to be side-splittingly funny.

On a scale of nuisances, this is one where it bothers other people more than me most of the time. There isn't a whole lot I can do about it, so I might as well get a few laughs out of it!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How is your ear two days later? Has it popped yet?

Your hearing loss sounds like my mom's, or at any rate, the funny things she thinks people are saying. She has hearing aids, but they bug her, so she rarely wears them.

9:52 AM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

Hearing aids bug me too, and I don't wear them all the time. I probaby should at this point, though. No, my ear hasn't popped yet, and the ringing in there is louder than in my left ear. I wonder if something isn't going on with that ear, but it doesn't concern me too much! Yet.

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your hearing comments sound like Hazel's. She's always making up what she thinks someone said. And she's got a great sense of humor about it, too, so it's fun. She does hate when someone gets all preachy about it, telling her to get new, better, hearing aids. She hates hers. :)

Hugs, E.

me<><

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home