Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Fun With the Professor.

My professor, D.W., loves to stop by the local artsy cafe in the University village to get a cup of spiced chai every morning. This past Monday, I casually let it fall that I had a piece of artwork on permanent display there, and that if he and his wife could identify it, I would buy them both a cup of whatever they wanted.

Today he came in with what he was certain was the Answer. He was wrong, but when he began to guess again, I held up my finger. "One guess per day, only!" So he rattles off all the possibilities anyway, while I sit there evilly grinning at him, and telling him that since there was only one guess per day, I could not possibly tell him even if he had guessed just then.

It's eating him alive.

E-mails today:

From me:

Professor,

My roofers are coming by tomorrow after 10-so they say-so I'm not sure
what they have planned or when exactly they expect to be here. I may
not be in at all, but will make every effort..I was hoping to catch
some surgery tomorrow, too. Rats.

EFG

From him:

Thanks for letting me know, Eleanor. WBAA just predicted thunderstorms
for tomorrow afternoon so you might have a good test of what the
roofers wind up doing.

I am going to try one more time tomorrow morning to identify your
piece of art in Vienna Espresso Bar. Just to be sure....it's not a
table top, nor is it three-dimensional, right? How am I missing it?

David

Me:

One more time? One more time??

Where, I ask, is the W. Family Pride? You must persevere, man!

You will both have to pool your eyeballs a bit better than this! Think
of your children and the example you must set for generations to come!

I'll give you until the end of the week, and if you folks STILL don't
get it, I'm having Tim or someone advertise your shame on the website.

No more hints. Now get back there, both of you, and do your duty.

EFG

Him:
Sweet Jesus, what in the hell is it? I have spent more time in that place than
anyone in Tippecanoe County. I know everyone that works there on a first name
basis. For years I have given each of the kids that graduate a card with a
personal note, and a check. I communicate with those that move on. Mike
Paterniti even wrote that I drink a spiced chai "in my favorite cafe every
day." The owners were miffed that he didn't identify the place by its name,
but the whole story took shape over lunch there one early spring day in 2002.
Okay, I won't give up. I accept your challenge. I'll be damned if I will let
this get the best of me.
No more hints. No more clues. And I won't ask Hussein.

P.S. Is it in the women's restroom? Am I looking right at it? David

Me:

Poor man. I have no idea what you are looking at when you go in there!
And none of those dear children behind the counter were likely BORN when I did that piece, or perhaps they MIGHT have been in kindergarten.
NO IT ISN'T IN THE LADIES ROOM; GOOD HEAVENS WHAT SORT OF WOMAN DO YOU TAKE ME FOR??
Til the end of the week, then...and remember: One answer per day! Toodle-oo.
EFG

Hope they can take the heat!

By the way, the item in question is a large, decoratively painted frame to the menu chalkboard.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a TOUCH sadistic, my dear!

Poor man.

;)

me<><

10:23 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

ROFLOL! I hope he doesn't read your blog. This is sort of a reverse Rumplestiltskin.
;-)

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"pooling their eyeballs"

ROFLOL gotta love it!

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home