Thursday, April 27, 2006

Mystery Solved.


It was an oddly warm winter around here. Out in the back garden I noticed a crumple of green in a corner where I hadn't remembered planting anything exciting. It alarmed me, becuase I thought that the weather was so unreasonable that the plants were beginning to venture forth only to freeze in some February regression. It had to be a persistent weed, I decided. Should be interesting to see what happens to it.

Nothing happened to it. That confirmed to me that it had to be a weed. Worthwhile plants have to be pretty special to survive tenure under my black thumb, so I doubted it was a cultivated plant. Spring came and the plant stretched forth modestly like a young child awakening from a refreshing sleep, and one day I noticed flower buds on it. I was thoroughly puzzled.

Now, I'm always going off to the nursery in the spring to find annuals to plant, since perennials invariably die in my garden. I even carefully planted the lamium that my gardening book warned would take over aggressively (which was exactly what I hoped it would do) but it too died. I get a couple of flats of begonias for the beds, and impatiens to scatter around in pots; and then I foolishly wander off to the shade perennial section, where Spring and my emotions invariably get the better of me, and I end up buying things I hadn't at all planned on and have no idea where I will plant.

Sometimes this isn't a bad plan, since I forget all about them and then of course I am not hurt when they die, as I expect them to. And it's such a happy surprise when they survive. Every year we get at least one surprise. You just never know what's next in our yard. In fact I regularly do it with bulbs. I plant whatever appeals to me somewhere in our woodsy yard, and have a pleasant surprise every year.

This year the surprise was this Pasque flower, so named because it blooms right around Easter time. Well, it's two weeks late, but I forgave it. If it lives, it's welcome around here. I had to get on the Web to track down what it could be.

Of course it's poisonous, which is delightful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

It's very pretty. How big is it? It looks very small, but that could be the camera angle.

We're enjoying all the surprises in this garden. It's the first time I've ever owned a house that a gardener lived in before me. We've been delighted by several varieties of narcissus, irises, and my most favorite because I've never had it before: Lilacs!

1:28 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

Ooooohhhh, lilacs, love 'em, sounds like something close to Heaven there.. The Pasque flower is pretty small right now, only about 6-8" tall. But it's a spot of green (and purple), and it survived. I just wish we had more than a couple of hours of sunshine on this lot somewhere. Dry shade is a real challenge-- it's moist in the spring and concrete-dry in August.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home