Saturday, June 24, 2006

Blessed Coffee...Alone.

When I emerge from my bedroom-den in the AM, nothing turns me from the path to the coffee machine. I usually suck down around four mugs of the stuff in pretty quick succession while perusing email, news and forums. But don't worry, it's 1/2-2/3 decaf.

The first cup helps me to be patient about waking up. The second makes me want the third. The third makes me aware of the world. The fourth gets me interested in facing it. After the fourth cup, my hearing begins to sharpen up.

Coffee is absolutely necessary. I am at the age where one's morning routime is set in granite, and if it doesn't go as planned, then I know I am either in a foreign country or Rich is away. Which he is at the moment, and not just him but Meg too. Meg's with a church group in Colorado for a week, and Rich is at a conference in DC. He will come home Sunday night and then repack and leave the Monday morning until Saturday for Gainesville FL. It will be Ian and me all by ourselves until next weekend. Ian went out last night leaving me utterly alone in the house. It's a weird feeling to be alone for such a long period of time. I'm not "on call".

Rich and I have been seperated for more than two weeks only once in our entire marriage. That seperation, necessitated by a trip overseas, made us realise that that isn't healthy for us, so now we have a limit on how long he can be away. Both of us begin to drift in different directions, even when he calls me. By the time we are together again, our relationship feels like elastic which has been stretched to the point of not regaining its original shape. It takes time for us to come back together the way we ought to be.

Unfortunately, this trip means he will be away on our anniversary. But I can't complain. Last year we went to Hawaii for our 25th. This year he had my engagement diamond reset into a sturdier ring (the first one was very delicate and I had taken to not wearing it for fear the diamond would be lost) with 8 smaller diamonds around it. I'm not one to lust for jewels, but this ring is understated and elegant.

Going to have to plan a whoopee dinner for when eveyone is back together.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about coffee, Eleanor. It's the VERY first thing I do, and it is something I'm going to go get right now, actually. Even though it is late afternoon. Muh brain needs a boost.

do you find that when Rich is away, stuff happens that only he can handle, or that the husband usually does or SHOULD handle? That's how it's been w/Jim and me. He hardly ever goes, though. Home bodies extraordinaire, that's both of us.

7:14 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

A couple of his trips ago, we popped a leak in the upstairs tub pipes, and water began to come down into the kitchen! So the kids had to use our bathroom until it could be fixed, which was weeks later...after Rich finally was home long enough to examine the thing properly and fix it.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home