Thursday, November 10, 2005

Comfort.

I don't know who wrote this or whether they were a believer, but I thought it was a neat piece. If anyone knows, say so:

I am standing upon the dock at the seashore, a ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength. I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come to mingle with each other.

Then someone at my side says: "There -- she is gone!"
"Gone where?" Gone from my sight, that's all.

She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my
side, and she is just as able to bear her load of living freight to her destined
port. Her diminished size is in me, not in her.

And just at that moment when someone at my side says: "There, she is gone!", there are other eyes watching her coming, and other voices ready to take up the glad shout: "Here she comes!"

And that is dying ...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to this site and scroll down to "There Is No Death.
http://www.texassailor.com/2_collection.htm#Ship%20that%20sails

6:12 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

Cool; thanks, Lois. I keep forgetting that I can Google stuff like this.

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home