Friday, November 25, 2005

Assignment

This is the last of the assignments I was given by my professor, D.W., to assess my skill and readiness to learn the discipline of medical illustration.


I had some question as to why an assignment like this was supposed to help assess my skill, and DW asked his colleague at the University of Toronto medical illustration graduate school that. The response was:

"This project hopefully demonstrates how much control the
illustrator has in directing his/her audience to focus on a specific area.
Are you to focus on the foreground or gaze beyond the window ledge to see what's happening outside the window? Or perhaps you are looking at a
reflection in the window. The bottom line is you have to make a decision
in order to direct your audience's attention to where you want them to
look. Not unlike looking at a surgical illustration Do you render
everything equally in the viewing field or emphasize only the important
details? Also it is a good composition exercise. We find many portfolios
contain single objects floating in space on a page and very few full
compositions."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what talent!

the first thing I noticed, btw, was the reflection of the coffee cup.

was that your intention?

1:18 PM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

Heidi, your eye should, in this picture, fall on one thing and then travel to various other places that matter to the composition. Like you, some have "see" the reflection first, but others have first concentrated on the tray with the apples first. I'm not sure if this assgnment really does that job so well-- I kind of wish I had had the explanation before I did it, but of course I can see why they didn't give the explanation. In any case, the reflection is certainly an important part of the composition, but the most important part is the tray, perhaps the apples. Then the may to the right directs your attention up to the reflection, and then your eye should fall back to the cup, the spoon, and back to the apples.

I still have a couple of things to touch up on this, but this is basically it. Thanks for the compliment!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Gryphonette said...

It's a lovely painting, Eleanor....you're tremendously talented.

So, what are you going to DO with it once you're finished?

It'd make a boffo gift. ;^p

9:23 AM  
Blogger craigellachie said...

I don't really know. I need to concoct a fixative for it, then after that, I'll let Rich decide whether he likes it enough. If not, I'll sell it on eBay through you...and give you a 10%commission. How's that?

9:48 PM  
Blogger Gryphonette said...

Cool!

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a private auction for your friends would be much nicer than eBay.

~Valerie

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home